Written by Chris & Judith Wright while living at Mt Pleasant Farm, with much of the historical knowledge coming from conversation with John Gammon
The Gammon family started the brickworks in about 1870 on the south side of the A272. Brick and tile works later extended to the north of the A272.
While the brickyard was in operation, there was a water tank at the west end. There was a windmill and bore hole to pump up the water – the hole is still there near the northeast corner of the water tank. The houses in North Stroud Lane were able to get water at ½d per household per week. It was piped out to the road. Many houses in North Stroud Lane also have a water reservoir, holding water piped from their roofs. Sitting on clay, these reservoirs have clay bases and a domed brick top with a hole for a cover at ground level.
The brickyard closed before the 1939-45 war, though there were still pits that the local children played in, after the war in the late 1940s.
1945 There were lots of bricks to be collected up and sold.
The area was filled with rubbish by the Petersfield Urban District Council and then covered over.
After the brickyard/rubbish tip was covered over, John Gammon used the area for car auctions. There are still many old car parts lying around as is the iron frame (which had a top piece) which was the auctioneers’ stand.
From 1951 the premises had been occupied by Sure Fire Burners and Pressure Oil Burners.
1955 The garage was opened. 8 polished granite pillars had come from Hindhead to be installed in front of the garage (part of one of these is now in the garden of Mt Pleasant Farm).
The East Meon Pest House – later Mount Pleasant Farm – was separate from the brickyard, though part of the brickyard was in 1974 sold with the farm and then planted with trees.
1974 – 75 Piped water and sewage come to the village.
The brickyard area was largely planted as woodland between 1974 – 2008. Much of this has now been sold on as gardens for Willowdale Close and the trees cut down.